Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Getting out of bed this morning was pretty easy. I guess it was because I had something new to look forward to. My plan: Eat breakfast, go to BodyFlow and then work out with Mike.... ah... a very nice morning. I ate my usual omelet but skipped the oatmeal, which turned out to be a mistake. By the end of the workout I had completely run out of steam.


BodyFlow is something new for me and it was interesting. It's a low impact aerobic activity that incorporates Tai Chi, Yoga, and Pilates. The only one I was familiar with was Tai Chi and I think I will enjoy yoga and pilates as well. I did relatively well, given my ankle injury but balancing is challenging! I couldn't do everything the same way as everyone else, but I did what I could. One thing you might find funny is that I was outmatched by a pregnant woman. Not just pregnant, but pregnant with TWINS!!! Thirty-two weeks pregnant too! It's all good though because again, I pushed myself as hard as I could and did my best.


I had a half-hour break between BodyFlow and my appointment with Mike. Of course, I read the paper and drank a cup of coffee. I mean, why work out on the treadmill, right? We worked my lower body today. Oh my goodness, it wasn't as difficult as the upper body workout but still... Anyway, I pushed through all of it, all the while chanting "Go the distance, go the distance" in my head. It really does work! My chant sounded like an 88rpm record when I was holding a weight and high-stepping across the gym floor and kick-stepping all the way back. Twice each way! It was brutal, but I know it will work.


Curt and Betty

My inspiration today came from Curt who is 81 and Betty who is 77. I wrote a lot of papers last semester, most centering around the concept of "active aging". The idea is to be aware of your health status, manage your diet, exercise your mind and exercise your body. Curt and Betty are both members of Gold's Gym and commit themselves to a regular workout program. They are not the only "older" members; there were a few there this morning. Seeing them working out, not being winded and enjoying life makes me eager to get up tomorrow morning, go to the gym and thank God that it is never too late.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Too late for me, Elisa, but not for you or my kids. I commend you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's possible to live 120 years.

    ReplyDelete