Monday, June 7, 2010

Going the Distance




I really didn't want to work out this morning, but I got up early (eight-ish is early for me), ran errands (now, THAT is another story! Jefferson Davis' birthday. Remind me some day to tell you.), but got nothing done and felt pretty bad about it and finally got to the gym. 


Today was a cardio day and I decided to do something different, so no stationary bike for me. For everyone who doesn't know, I broke my ankle last October. The road to recovery has been very difficult, it still hurts badly and I still walk with a limp. I decided to push myself and get on the treadmill. I started out slowly, and before I knew it, I was walking at a 2.1 mile/hr speed and on a slight incline. Now, this did hurt; but at the same time, I felt my muscles stretching and warming and things felt pretty good. I cranked up the Motley Crue on my iPhone and taught that treadmill a good lesson. I noticed my heart rate was around 145 and decided to push the envelope, adjusting the speed again until I was running at a very slow pace. Yes, it was slow and from what I could see in the mirror, I looked stupid; but I RAN and my heart rate soared to 160! I walked for 50 minutes and actually ran for 10. I was sweaty, smelly and smiling when the machine stopped.


One thing I am enjoying about Gold's is the televisions they have mounted on the cardio machines. I usually plug in my earphones and watch my favorite programs. Today was different. My mind drifted to one of my favorite movies, "Rocky". Rocky Balboa had nothing going for him. A southpaw with lack of focus usually doesn't make a good boxer. Thing is, Rocky wasn't really a boxer, he was a fighter. When everything is stacked against him, instinct and heart take over. The harder he is hit, the harder he comes back-- with a vengeance.


In the scene I was thinking about this morning, Mickey is trying to give Rocky reasons to not fight Apollo Creed. I loved what Rocky had to say and this is the highlight:


"It really don't matter if I lose this fight. It really don't matter if this guy opens my head, either. 'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed."


Sometimes I expect too much of myself right away. Now, I am a big fan of raising the bar, but what I mean is sometimes it takes time and patience to get over that bar; and of course, the next bar is already there and waiting. I am now trying to set daily goals so I can go the distance every day. I can challenge myself daily with exercise and sticking to my nutrition plan. I ran for 10 minutes today but maybe tomorrow I should run for 11. 


Going the distance. Going the distance, giving it everything I've got and win big or not, finish the race.  Every day, finish the race.

3 comments:

  1. You broke your ankle, ouch! Now I wanna hear that story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auntie, you have it, you're a Hill. We don't give up! Lol Chris, I broke it at Flowers Hall on my way to First Aid class.

    ReplyDelete